Of course once I had made up my mind about moving East, like clockwork my emotional attachment to the West kicked into overdrive. I've lived in California my whole life - and loved every moment of it - but the thought of leaving has made me appreciate its beauty (and weather!) even more. Isn't it funny how that's always the way? As such, my impending departure has instilled in me a craving to explore my current surroundings as much as possible. There are so many things I've been meaning to do, so many places I've been meaning to visit...
So this Summer I set out to conquer my California bucket list, saying goodbye to my home state one weekend adventure at a time.
-- my list --
- Road trip up Highway 1
- Explore Catalina Island
- Relive my childhood at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Learn to Surf in the 'Bu
- Experience a true farm-to-table dinner
- Camp here, here & here
- Cruise the SF Bay in a ferry
- Get frisky at Malibu Wines
- Picnic at dusk by the Silverlake Reservoir
- Watch an outdoor movie at Cinespia
- Hike Yosemite
- Paddleboard in Newport
- Get down on $1 oyster Thursdays at Cliff's Edge
- Go beer & wine tasting in Santa Barbara's new Funk Zone
- Gracefully stomp divots at the veuve clicquot polo classic
- Dance to Live Jazz at LACMA on Friday evenings
- Sip poolside cocktails in Palm Springs
I've actually managed to squeeze in a lot of these bucket list items in the last few months, so before I set out for NYC I'll share some stories, illustrations and photos from my favorite California experiences.
First up: the classic Pacific Coast road trip.
I've been in Los Angeles for 7 years now, have commuted back and forth from San Francisco countless times, and still astonishingly have never taken the time to properly enjoy historic Highway 1. This drive of my daydreams was long overdue. So with Sunset Mag in hand (my West Coast bible) and co-Pilot Peter at the wheel, we headed North on the PCH to experience what National Geographic calls one of "the World's Most Spectacular Trips"...
Stay tuned for posts about each stop we made along the way. and in the meantime, what's on your California bucket list? :)